Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Minimalist Kitchen Tips for Food Storage

I am always looking for ways to cut down on the waste produced on a daily basis in my kitchen. I especially hate throwing away anything plastic because we all know that it takes forever to biodegrade and much of it ends up in our oceans. In this upcoming series I will be talking about ways to cut down on this waste. Many people don’t think much about the garbage they produce other than to recycle as much as they can, which is great, but creating less garbage in the first place is better. It’s great to have less garbage in your kitchen which means it takes up less space and requires less trips to the garbage can. If you reduce your waste enough it may even save you money on curbside pickup if you can use a smaller can or switch to less frequent pick ups. For me, being a minimalist, less is usually better.

In this post I want to talk about food storage.  I store food in mason jars and reuse zip loc bags over and over, which helps a lot,  but recently I found these great lids on Amazon. Once you have these you no longer need plastic containers that can leach bad chemicals into your food. No need for plastic wrap either. These stretchy silicone lids are great because they fit over a variety of bowls, jars, cans, and even plates! These turn all of my odd ball sized bowls into legit storage.

No comments: