Friday, March 23, 2018

Zero Waste Ideas Reducing Kitchen Waste

In my previous blogpost I talked about the advantages to reducing the waste created in my kitchen on a daily basis. Not only does it lower our carbon footprint, but it saves us time, effort, and money. One of the things I found myself to be tossing out a lot were two sided sponges for scrubbing dishes. I was constantly buying new ones at the dollar store every week because they just didn’t last. Then one day I was watching a YouTuber called the Vegan Athlete who has an amazing backyard garden, and he was growing loofahs that he used to wash dishes with! First of all I thought loofahs came from the ocean, but they actually grow on vines in tropical regions. So I had to check this out. 

So, I checked on Amazon for loofahs to wash dishes with and sure enough they were there! I have been using them for a few months now and I will never go back to those nasty old sponges I used for years, (one less item in my shopping cart and in my trash can.) The loofahs are great at cleaning dishes and pots and pans. If you have a really burnt pan you may need to use something stronger, but these really do a great job replacing those two sided sponges. They come in a pack of five and so far I have only used one. To keep it clean I just rinse with dishwashing liquid and hang it to dry on my faucet. You can also run it through your dishwasher or pop into the microwave for 30 seconds. This product is 100% natural. So if it ever does wear out, it can go into your home or community compost. I just love the fact that I could buy something as natural and inexpensive as these loofahs are and they are going to last me literally years! 


Click here to find them on Amazon.



No comments: