Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Minimalist Kitchen - Pantry

Boxed items: I don’t buy a lot of this stuff I keep much of it in my freezer though. Baking mix, flour, and bread crumbs stay "weevil free". Nuts, which contain oil that can go rancid, last a very long time. in the freezer. This gives you more room in your cupboards for rice, dry beans, cereal, crackers, chips, real popcorn, whatever. I always have crackers on hand for drop in guests. As well as cheese, wine, and micro-brew beer.

Jarred Items: Yep. I do buy a lot of gourmet items like artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, olives, etc. They are great to serve on the spur of the moment with French bread or crackers. The jars are simply recycled at my curb. I don’t buy jarred pasta sauce though. Tomatoes, basil, and olive oil in the food processor makes a great sauce base and takes less time to make as opening the jar, rinsing it out and recycling it.

No comments: